Former University employee charged with selling date rape drug changes plea to guilty

Stephen Howard, former University employee who was accused of selling over a gallon of date-rape drug, changed his plea on one of his two remaining counts Dec. 7.

Howard pleaded guilty to the third of six counts of his indictment, brandishing a firearm during a drug trafficking crime. He previously pleaded guilty to three counts of possession of 1,4 butanediol with intent to distribute and possession of methamphetamine.

1,4 butanediol is a compound that becomes GHB when ingested.

The prosecution is asking that Howard serve  7 years in prison for the crime, and the fifth charge of the crime, possession of a firearm during a drug trafficking crime, will be dismissed at sentencing, according to the plea agreement. 

If Howard commits another crime, he forfeits the deal, and he also waives his right to appeal, except on grounds of ineffective counsel or prosecutorial misconduct, by accepting the deal.

"The defendant further expressly waives the right to appeal his conviction and sentence on any other ground and waives the right to attack his conviction and sentence in any post-conviction proceeding," states the plea document.

The court will accept or reject the deal at the sentencing hearing on Feb. 24, 2016, at 10 a.m.

Howard was arrested May 22 for distributing 1,4 butanediol.

He was denied bail May 27, and pleaded not guilty to three counts of possessing 1,4 butanediol with intent to distribute, the two firearms charges and possession of methamphetamine on June 16. However, he changed his plea to guilty on the four possession counts on Oct. 28.

Share and discuss “Former University employee charged with selling date rape drug changes plea to guilty ” on social media.