Auburn completes sweep of the Plainsman Invitational with win over Mercer

The bats were hot today for No. 2 Auburn when the took the field to face Mercer in the final game of the Plainsman Invitational. The Tigers recorded a season high 13 hits on the day, and turned those hits into 10 runs, with 5 runs coming in the top of the 4th.

Victoria Draper and Carlee Wallace led the Tigers offensively on the beautiful Sunday afternoon, with Draper going 3 for 3 on the day and Wallace hitting a pair of doubles and driving in two runs. Wallace, who was moved into the leadoff spot in the previous game, has fit right in and helped the Tigers get off to strong starts and run-rule three of their first 10 opponents. 

"It's not about the long ball, Wallace said. "If we can continue to get people on base consistently, we're going to be lethal." 

This was evident all day as the Auburn offense continually kept the ball on the ground and even laid down 3 perfect bunts.

Kaylee Carlson picked up her fifth win of the season after a solid performance on the mound. She ended the day with 4 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, and 2 strikeouts. Jenna Abbot came on in relief in the 5th inning and put out three straight Bears to end the game.

Throughout the game, the Tigers continually put themselves in position to score, loading the bases multiple times. The bases were loaded for freshman Justus Perry when she stepped up to bat in the top of the 5th. She was able to drive in two runs with her first collegiate hit, making the score 10-1 and putting the Tigers over the run-rule limit, allowing Auburn to walk away with a victory after just 5 innings.

The win moves Auburn to 9-1 on the season, while Mercer drops to 4-5. Auburn returns to the field Thursday as they welcome North Dakota at 6 p.m. CST, at Jane B. Moore Field.

Share and discuss “Auburn completes sweep of the Plainsman Invitational with win over Mercer” on social media.