Games on the Plains a Hit for Welcome Week

The first week of school can be an exciting time for everyone. For new students, it's a time to learn about Auburn traditions like getting lost in Haley Center, paying a ridiculous cover at SkyBar and, of course, the 200 percent humidity.

To ease the transition from high school to college, the SGA created Welcome Week. Welcome Week offers students exciting events like the Block Party and Hey Day. According to the SGA, this was a successful Welcome Week and to close it out they offered students Games on the Plains.

This year the SGA and the International Student Organization combined forces Saturday on the library lawn.

The day began with a quick game of wiffle ball when Lauren Boldt, a sophomore and SGA representative, arrived. Boldt also set up a convenient table full of free snacks and refreshments including pretzels, chili cheese Fritos and ice water.

Soon after the games had begun, the ISO members tried to teach some of the attendees how to play cricket, but unfortunately the field conditions were not suitable for play.

However, the sports enthusiasts were not deterred from playing other games, including a 2-on-2 soccer game. Using the two trees closest to College Street as goals, the players kicked and played an exhilarating game. The game-ending goal was scored after a sailing shot went past the goal and onto a bustling College Street--hitting a BMW. An impromptu game of human Frogger ensued and the ball was retrieved.

Jacob Bagwell, a freshman, said he had heard about the event online and had been looking for something to do. Bagwell could tell, after only one week, that college is a big change from high school.

Davis Pierce, Bagwell's freshman roommate, also came for the socialization.

However, he was disappointed by the turnout and wondered why more people didn't show up. This did not stop him from hitting a homerun, once again onto College Street, with a tennis ball during a pick-up baseball game.

Keeping the freshman theme, Anh Duong took a break from his studies at the library to come and participate. Duong said he came because he heard there were going to be water balloons, but unfortunately the only throwable things filled with water were water bottles.

In the closing moments of the warm Saturday afternoon Bagwell showed off his juggling skills and attempted to teach those present.

Most attendees had been to Welcome Week activities and seemed to have a good time.

"The students had a lot of fun learning about sports played by cultures different from their own," said Charlie Townsend, a junior on the Welcome Week leadership team.

Townsend was surprised by the turnout and the length of the games, hoping that, though Games on the Plains is one of the newer events during Welcome Week, it will continue to grow.

Share and discuss “Games on the Plains a Hit for Welcome Week” on social media.