Waverly Dons Its Dancin' Shoes

Blue grass music twanged through the trees, and cars lined the road. Just off Highway 280 citizens of Lee County hiked with lawn chairs to the 10th annual 280 Boogie Saturday.

Those opting to skip out on Auburn's A-Day football game enjoyed a day of music featuring The Uncle Roy Show, Mace Glasscock, Spoonful James and more.

Attendees were welcomed to the event by the aroma of burgers and chicken hot off the grill. Several vendors, including the Strutting Duck, Johnny Brusco's and the Lake Martin Oyster Bar offered lunch for the masses.

"It's a good civic event for the town to get together and listen to music," said Scott Fuller of Wickles Pickles in Waverly. "There are a lot of arts and crafts, and it's free. Pretty much the whole town of Waverly comes and people from Auburn and LaFayette."

The multi-cultural arts and music festival is hosted each year by the town of Waverly and is sponsored by Standard Deluxe Screen Printing Company.

Callie Fleming, freshman in pre-graphic design, said she has been coming to the 280 Boogie since she was young.

"It gets super crowded as the day goes on," Fleming said. "I grew up coming to it."

At the event, Fleming worked the Standard Deluxe table located at the front of the event.

The table was stacked a foot high with t-shirts for customers to sort through and buy during the day.

Blair Stapp, senior in graphic design, and Melanie Walker, senior in nursing, worked at the Standard Deluxe table as well. They said planning the event takes a lot of coordination with the bands and different vendors, and they had been setting up the event since Thursday.

Several art vendors lined the outskirts of the event offering a variety of products. Attendees were able to purchase homemade jams, jellies and hand-crafted jewelry. Even unbreakable ornaments and Faberge eggs were sold at one booth, and a prison arts and education booth displayed books and art from prison inmates.

Rachel Blocher, a ceramic jewelry designer, said she has been attending the event for three years.

"It's my favorite show," Blocher said. "I have shows lined up every weekend from now until October, and none of them are like this. I can just let my kids run around and have fun."

Blocher said she and her family try to get as close to the music as possible because there are always great bands.

Kathryn Cooper, senior in art, said she chose to attend the Boogie instead of A-Day because it is a great place to be.

"It's something I look forward to every year," Cooper said. "It's a great place to hang out with friends and listen to some great live music. I can't wait to go back next year."

Share and discuss “Waverly Dons Its Dancin' Shoes” on social media.