New theatre organization combines drama, diversity

Mosaic Theatre Company, a new program for Auburn students, addresses issues of diversity through acting.

"The reason why theatre is a great place for talking about diversity is because theatre is a place of empathy," said Joan Lipkin, guest teacher at Mosaic Theatre Company and artistic director of That Uppity Theatre in St. Louis. "When you step into someone's shoes you can see their view better."

The Mosaic Theatre Company is a collaboration between Heather May, assistant professor of theatre and artistic director for Mosaic, and Anna Gramberg, dean of the College of Liberal Arts.

The program, starting the first summer session of 2012, will provide a place for students to learn and express their views about issues of diversity through theatrical performances.

"The goal is that we are dedicated to the creation and the performance of the original works of theatre that interrogate issues of diversity in the hopes of stimulating dialogue," May said.

Students will work with various artists through the summer to build acting skills.

"We will do everything from improv workshops to movement workshops to just building skills, and hopefully by the end we will have a piece of theatre that is ready to be performed," May said.

Performances will target issues of diversity, and Lipkin said diversity is encouraged among students so they can create works to be performed at the end of the summer.

"We are looking for students varied in race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, age, religious background and economic class committed to fostering dialogue through performance," said Heather Horn, graduate student in higher education administration and graduate assistant for Mosaic.

"Students auditioning for the company need not prepare anything, but should come dressed to move."

Lipkin insists all students be open to new experiences and to take chances.

"What is needed," Lipkin said, "is an interest in the creative process and performing, commitment to the Auburn community, a sense of humor, openness, a willingness to try some activities that you may not be familiar with and a desire to share time with people whose experiences may differ from your own."

Students who are not theatre majors are also encouraged to audition.

"I think it's important that people understand that they don't have to be a theatre major," Lipkin said. "Regular people have their own life experiences to bring to the table."

May said she wants to expand the group beyond the University.

"For a long term goal, I would like to have a touring with not just students, but even people from the community," May said.

Applications are now available. Auditions will be held Feb. 19 from 1-4 p.m. in the Telfair Peet Theatre, Room 126.

For more information contact AUMosaicTheatre@gmail.com.

Share and discuss “New theatre organization combines drama, diversity” on social media.