Dubstep isn't music

Dubstep is for people who hate music, but love bass, subwoofers and neon clothing.

I'm sure you are all very aware of this new genre of "music" which has taken the world by storm.

Dubstep is nothing more than sequences of computerized sound samples mixed together by wannabe musicians working with a free download of second-rate sound engineering software.

It's a lazy music genre that produces uninspired, unemotional and uninteresting music.

We are unfortunate enough to live in a world dumbed down by smartphones, reality television and now music that prides itself on being nothing more than amplified bathrooms sounds.

I have been surrounded by music my entire life. I love to listen to all types of music. I grew up singing in choir, learning about musical notation, time signatures and other basic music theory.

I've played drums for seven years now, and I have had the opportunity to play with some talented and classically trained musicians.

I'm no expert, but I feel like I at least have an understanding for what makes good music. I know the work that goes into writing a song, playing a show and recording an album.

So it is insulting to me when dubstep artists call themselves real musicians when the only instrument they play is a MacBook Pro.

One of the most common arguments I hear from fans of dubstep is that I just "don't get it."

I agree 100 percent. I don't get why it's so popular. I don't understand the purpose the artist wishes to convey with his music. I don't get the point of dubstep at all.

Music isn't just about what you "get," it's also something you feel, and all I feel when listening to dubstep is an intense throbbing in my temple and sick to my stomach.

All music is subjective, and I don't want to simply make fun of people for liking something I don't like, but it's insulting to myself and other musicians when people call dubstep real music. How could this overhyped, chaotic and unstructured noise garner millions of fans in such a short time period? How could this computerized atonal abomination possibly win Grammys? The whole thing blows my mind.

Dubstep is a trend that needs to die out soon. It isn't music; it's just another excuse to take ecstasy, wear airbrushed trucker hats and talk about how "that bass drop was so filthy, bro."

Dubstep is a cancer on American music culture that needs to be cut out, and while putting an end to dubstep would put an end to the glowstick, neon green tank top and zany sunglasses industry, I think that is a hit our economy would be willing to take.

Share and discuss “Dubstep isn't music” on social media.