Alleged on-campus sexual assault under investigation

Auburn Public Safety and Security was notified about a sexual assault that happened on campus Sunday, July 20.
The female victim, a student at the University, reported the sexual assault to the Auburn Police Division at approximately 4 p.m. Saturday, July 19.
"The victim reported leaving an area in downtown in the accompaniment of a male individual," said Auburn Police Division Capt. Lorenza Dorsey. "They went to a location in the 200 block of South College Street. From 1 a.m. till about 10:30 a.m. she did not remember the events that occurred."
The male individual involved was located. He is not a student.
"The investigation is ongoing," Dorsey said. "We're not releasing a lot of information at this point in the investigation. We're in the beginning stages of the investigation."
Dorsey said the victim had a medical investigation to provide information whether drugs or alcohol were in her system at the time of the incident.
Dorsey said he advises students to be safe when they are downtown.
"We advise that they go in couples as much as possible to make sure they are safe and have ways to monitor their drinks and don't over indulge," Dorsey said. "Always call the police division if something goes on."
An email was sent to the student body and faculty at approximately 9 p.m., notifying about the sexual assault.
Anyone with knowledge of this or any other crime is encouraged to contact the Auburn Police Department.
The email also lists ways to prevent sexual assaults or what to do if you have been sexually assaulted:
Sexual assault and giving someone a drug without their knowledge or permission are both felonies.
* Individuals should pay close attention to their food and drink intake at parties or events. Do not leave your food/drinks unattended or accept food/drinks from unknown individuals.
* Someone who is passed out, unconscious or incapacitated because of drugs, alcohol or any other reason is unable to give consent. Forcing sexual contact on another person without consent is against the law. Being drunk does not mean a person is asking to have sex or be raped.
* It is a myth that it can't happen to you. All individuals are potential rape victims, regardless of age, race, class, religion, occupation, sexual orientation, gender identity, educational background, or physical description. Both males and females can be rape victims. Rape is never the victim's fault.
The email also lists Safe Harbor and Rape Counselors of East Alabama as resources.
* Safe Harbor - Sexual assault survivor advocates (on campus; Monday through Friday, 7:45-4:45) - 334-844-7233
* Rape Counselors of East Alabama - Sexual assault survivor advocates (community; 24/7) - 334-705-0510

Share and discuss “Alleged on-campus sexual assault under investigation” on social media.