Editorial: The downside of upscale living

(Charlotte Kelly | Graphics Editor)
(Charlotte Kelly | Graphics Editor)

Finding a decent place to live shouldn't be part of what makes college difficult. Paying tuition, maintaining a good GPA, avoiding alcohol poisoning -- these should be high on your list of college-related concerns. Worrying whether or not you'll have to spend part of the semester in a hotel should be low on that list.
Unfortunately, renting in Auburn is a gamble. Anyone who isn't wealthy or hasn't needed to diligently shop around for reasonable housing can tell you how much of a nightmare it can be.
Take 319 Bragg for example.
319 Bragg's management led renters to believe they would be able to move in by the beginning of the fall semester. However, renters are now stuck in hotels, waiting for a move-in date that has yet to be announced.
The management is attempting to appease renters by paying for hotel accommodations, and allowing the renters to still use the complex's hyped amenities. While this is a nice gesture, it does nothing to alleviate the burden now faced by renters who have to start the year in such a dismal situation.
This is an inexcusable error, but it is typical of student housing in Auburn.
On campus, the Village dorms have been in various states of disrepair since they were built in 2009. The dorms on the Hill are ancient -- last renovated 25 years ago. Both of these locations cost entirely too much considering what you get when you move in.
Off campus, there are shady landlords, dishonest property managers and greedy real estate agents to contend with, and they will do and say anything to take your money.
They run cheap, unsound buildings and charge overpriced rent. For these people, Auburn students are cash cows.
So be wary of any apartment that seems too good to be true, because it is. That Jacuzzi and sauna may sound like great selling points, but those will be the last thing on your mind when your toilet is broken and the maintenance guy can't fix it until next week.
Instead, we advise practicality.
There is no need to spend $700 or more every month just to have access to a few luxury items. If you inform yourself and act with some common sense, then you can avoid the housing nightmare many Auburn students have to deal with at least once in their time here.
As for the renters of 319 Bragg, this would be a great opportunity for them to demand their deposit back, and maybe get a few months free rent while they're at it.

Share and discuss “Editorial: The downside of upscale living” on social media.