SGA to host The Big Event this Saturday

Auburn University's SGA will host The Big Event student-run volunteer day Saturday, March 14, 2015.

The Big Event gives college students and faculty the opportunity to thank the community of the City of Auburn for sharing their city with the University student body according to SGA executive director of the Big Event Michael Waldrum, junior in business.

Waldrum said this year’s Big Event will complete volunteer projects for over 200 churches, schools and parks.

“Our goal is to serve as many people as possible in the Auburn community and say thank you to them for making Auburn such a great place to live and learn,” Waldrum said.

Approximately 2,200 volunteers attended last year’s Bid Event and more are expected to attend this year according to Waldrum.

“We hope to have 2,500 volunteers participate this year,” Waldrum said.

Assistant director for The Big Event Katelyn Ahern, senior in biochemistry, said she has been recruiting at various campus organization meetings to encourage the organizations’ members to sign up.

“Members of organizations often volunteer as a group but we also have groups of friends who volunteer together as well as individuals,” Ahern said.

Assistant director for The Big Event and Hunter Gibson, sophomore in pre-health services administration, said SGA has reached out to the city and PTO organizations within Auburn City Schools.

“We really want a relationship to be cultivated between Auburn students and the community,” Gibson said.

According to Gibson he feels that The Big Event benefits the student body by giving them an opportunity to serve.

“It’s easy as a college student to become so involved in campus activities that we forget that there are needs in the community that we could be addressing,” Gibson said.

Share and discuss “SGA to host The Big Event this Saturday” on social media.