Auburn running game faces tough test against LSU

<p>Mississippi Rebels linebacker MoMo Sanogo (46) tackles Auburn Tigers running back Tank Bigsby (4) during the second half at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium on Oct 24, 2020; Oxford, Mississippi, USA. Photo via: Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports</p>

Mississippi Rebels linebacker MoMo Sanogo (46) tackles Auburn Tigers running back Tank Bigsby (4) during the second half at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium on Oct 24, 2020; Oxford, Mississippi, USA. Photo via: Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports

Auburn has seen its running game improve exponentially, but it faces its biggest test this Saturday. 

“[This week’s game] is very important,” said junior offensive lineman Brodarious Hamm. “It can set the momentum. Last week we set the momentum for the season, but now we can get on the road from what Coach Malzahn has been saying. We just want to get on that road and be able to show everybody we can compete.”

There was a big question mark for Auburn that revolved around its running game as the college football season started with Boobee Whitlow transferring. Over the past five games, the statistics have proven that Auburn’s running game has continued to improve. 

The Tigers have rushed for 945 yards this season on 176 attempts. True freshman Tank Bigsby has been a spark for the Tigers and is currently leading the team with 443 rushing yards. 

Auburn faces one of its biggest competitions in the running game this Saturday in LSU who is allowing a minuscule 127.8 rushing yards per game. 

Auburn is averaging 164.4 yards on the ground.

“[Auburn’s running game] is very important,” Hamm said. “We just have to come out there and be able to do both run and pass. [LSU] is a solid front so when we come out we have to be able to do everything and not just be stuck on one thing.”

One key player will be out for Auburn this Saturday, and that is right guard Brandon Council. Council suffered a knee injury and will be out for the rest of the season. The Tigers will look to Keiondre Jones to fill in as the new starter at right guard. 

“It was hard,” Hamm said about losing Council. “We were getting the chemistry and everything going, but I feel like Keiondre [Jones] or [Austin] Troxell, we have guys that can step up and fill the role. We can’t miss a beat out there.”

LSU provides a challenge for Auburn on the defensive front after a slow start for the Bayou Bengals. LSU’s rush defense currently sits in the top-five in the SEC. 

The defensive line has been able to apply pressure where it’s needed and that is something Auburn will have to look out for. 

“They play hard up front,” Hamm said. “They’ve got some pretty good guys. We just have to come and bring our everything to them and just be ready for them.”

Auburn faces LSU on Saturday, Oct. 31 at 2:30 p.m. CST inside Jordan-Hare Stadium. The game will be broadcast on CBS.

Mattison Allen | Sports Writer
Mattison Allen

Mattison Allen is a senior from Springville, Ala. She's majoring in public relations communications with the goal of becoming a sports information director one day. 

@mattcurtlynn

mca0049@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn running game faces tough test against LSU” on social media.