Former DA ordered to report to Lee County Detention Facility

<p>District Attorney Brandon Hughes at a press conference on Tuesday, Nov. 14th.&nbsp; He is joined by Sheriff Jay Jones, John McEachern, Will Matthews and Barry Matson.&nbsp;</p>

District Attorney Brandon Hughes at a press conference on Tuesday, Nov. 14th.  He is joined by Sheriff Jay Jones, John McEachern, Will Matthews and Barry Matson. 

Former Lee County District Attorney Brandon Hughes' request to serve his 10-month sentence in a community corrections program was denied Tuesday, the Alabama Attorney General’s Office announced in a press release.

Hughes is ordered to report to the Lee County Detention Facility by Thursday, according to the press release. 

In September, Hughes’ attorneys filed a motion requesting that he serve his sentence in a community corrections program rather than in jail. A trial court denied the request Tuesday and ordered Hughes to report to the Lee County Detention Facility within 48 hours to begin serving his 10-month sentence behind bars, the press release states.

Hughes was arrested and charged with alleged violations of the state ethics act and conspiracy to commit theft in November 2020. On June 24, 2021, Hughes pleaded guilty to felony charges of first-degree perjury and using his public office for personal gain.

Hughes was sentenced to serve a three-year sentence for both counts, split to spend ten months in jail. Hughes is required to pay back the Lee County District Attorney’s Fund $14,000 in legal fees related to the use of his public office for personal gain and $1,350 in restitution to Highway 50 Towing of Lanett, Alabama.

Hughes has been suspended from office since his indictment in November 2020 and has been legally barred from holding his former position since pleading guilty in June 2021. He was allowed to remain out on bond pending his application to serve his sentence in a community corrections program.

“Brandon Hughes violated the public trust and therefore deserved to serve his sentence in jail,” said Chief Deputy Attorney General Clay Crenshaw.

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Former DA ordered to report to Lee County Detention Facility” on social media.